Here we go...


This time a month ago I was sat in an Office, designing jewellery at a computer that didnt really challenge me creatively, so I'm quite excited to be designing my own work now.
I have always loved making jewellery and always wanted to design my own work. I grew up in Cornwall, in the UK, where there were many beautiful beaches and I was inspired by all the stuff I could find, shells, sea glass and pottery, shards of tiles, bottles, plates that have been smoothed by the sea, driftwod, quartz, amethyst nuggets and unusual pieces of smoothed plastic. I love all the stereotypical surf style hemp bracelets, cowrie shell tribal necklaces and found objects on cord bleached by the sun, but I wanted to give it a twist, crystals, chain, more shells, more bling to jazz it up a bit, more formal beach wear, per say! I am inspired by ancient cultures too, like the Oceaneanic cililizations, Eyptians and Aztecs and my favourite jewellery designers are Tom Binns (especially his quirky earlier sea glass work), Enric Majoral and Sebastian Buescher.
Well, I've started my shop now. Its all been a bit of a mission to upload all my new work on Etsy but its there. I thought I would start a blog to log this mission!
I had a look at Kaboodle today and created an account and then got scared. I wasn't sure what I was doing so thought I should just stick to blogging, maybe someone will be interested in my ramblings. Anyway I don't know if anyone will be reading this or whether it will be lost in cyberspace! ARE YOU OUT THERE???!!!
Today I have been making some necklaces for a craft fair next weekend. My mate is coming up from Cornwall and we always used to do them together in Cornwall and the Friends Meeting House has the best cake in the world! Mmmm Orange. Brightons a very seaside-y place so I'm hoping it will sell well.
I've been drilling sea glass and pottery this week and made some items which I put in my shop, I love all the different patterns you find on sea pottery. My friend showed me how to do macrame so have been experiementing with hemp and cupchain. I think hemp and crystals are such a fresh constrast together.
Anyway tonight I'm going to make some more necklaces and upload them on Monday on Etsy. Been rooting through all my beachcombing bags and found a really fantastic bag of sea pottery found a new location that I had stupidly forgotten about, so I will be drilling those too!

oh, and check out my shop! nearly forgot to add that, www.beachshackproject.etsy.com

Comments

  1. congrats on the life change! and good luck on the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to follow your heart! I wish you much success and joy! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts